Saturday, September 5, 2015

2D/3D Homework #2: UVs and ZBrush Texturing



For the first step of this assignment, I wrangled UV mapping in Maya for the cannon models I did last week. UV mapping doesn't frustrate me as much as it seems to others, but I did approach it in a different way (using automatic mapping instead of manually unpacking it, oops); all of the UV mapping I did in undergrad was on organic objects, so that's how I learned it. Hopefully these UVs will end up being useful during painting, though. Hopefully...


Next I made liberal use of the Multi-Cut tool and various other means to make the model into a high-resolution version, even when being smoothed. This is the end result in Maya, after doing this and also applying a Blinn material to make it a little shinier.



Finally, I took the model into ZBrush and used vairous brushes and things to apply some metallic textures and weathering to it to make it look a little older and worn. This was a render of the final result, which I also decimated down from roughly 7 million polys down to less than 2 million. On to the next step next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment