Sunday, September 13, 2015

2D/3D Homework #3: Shake, Bake, and Mudbox

This one was a doozy. The best part was realizing I'd baked all the wrong maps mid-way through, screaming at the ceiling, and furiously re-baking so I could effectively implement them for Mudbox.

Many, many hours later and I am pleased with the results. Just wishing it hadn't taken so long.

First, we start with the normal baking. My UVs were different because of a different method I used to manufacture them. I had to paint out some problematic bits, but in the end they worked well enough.

So you can see how ugly these are.

Next, we baked out ambient occlusion maps and positional maps and colors and all sorts of things and I'll condense a lot of this because it got muddy (ha ha, gettit), but in the end I ended up with something like this.




Of course, luck would have it that I barely used that ambient occlusion and color map when I took the thing into Mudbox. Instead I used another method outlined in the tutorials, using masks within the program itself. I then painted on some personal details, changed colors around, and then stamped on textures and rust. In the end I ended up with this pattern as well as this model. I'm actually fairly proud of the end result!



Anyways, that's it! After all the frustration, I'm happy to put it behind me, but I'm happy with how it ended up! On to bigger and better things!



No comments:

Post a Comment